Written by Marisa Seager
Here are a few recipes that you can make right in your very own dorm room. Feel free to substitute ingredients or use an air fryer instead of a microwave.
Ingredients: tortillas, cheese, chicken (optional), and your chosen sauce (optional)
Note – I personally use the Taco Bell chipotle sauce which can be found in stores.
- Place 1 tortilla on a microwave-safe plate; sprinkle with cheese and whatever else you might choose to add.
- Cook in the microwave until the cheese is melted.
Mac in a Mug
Ingredients: 1 cup water, ½ cup elbow macaroni, and ½ cup cheese(s) of your choice
Note – if you’re feeling fancy, try adding your favorite herbs or veggies.
- Put macaroni in a mug and pour in water.
- Microwave on high for 8 minutes, pausing as needed to stir.
- Add cheese to the pasta and if it doesn’t melt immediately then pop it back into the microwave for about 30-60 seconds. Stir when done.
Ingredients: tortillas, your favorite tomato or pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings (optional)
Note – Cooking time may vary depending on microwave wattage.
- Using a spoon, spread a thin and even layer of tomato sauce over the tortilla.
- Sprinkle cheese and toppings right on top.
- Fold the tortilla in half.
- Place the tortilla pizza on a plate and cook in the microwave until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the cooked tortilla pizza from the microwave and cut (as/if desired)
Ingredients: green apples, butter, cinnamon, and sugar
Note – Feel free to add other toppings like granola and ice cream!
- Cut up a green apple into bite-sized pieces, then place them in a microwave-safe bowl or mug.
- Top the apples with 2 tbsp. of butter.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar.
- Microwave for about 2 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir and add toppings (optional).
Rice Krispies Treats
Ingredients: butter, marshmallows, and Rice Krispies cereal.
Note – The marshmallows will start puffing up, so keep an eye on them when microwaving!
- Melt ½ tbsp. of butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add a few marshmallows and microwave again for about twenty seconds.
- Stir the melted butter and marshmallows together until smooth.
- Mix in 1 cup of Rice Krispies cereal and stir until blended.